Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 002

    Caption: "Lower Market St. San Francisco, Calif., May 14, 1934." Bird's eye view of a street scene along San Francisco's Market Street. The Ferry Building is visible in the upper right-hand corner of the photograph, while the Flatiron Building appears in the photograph's center.

    Date: 5/14/1934

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 008

    Caption: "Market St. S.F." Shows Market Street in San Francisco, possibly during a parade to celebrate Admission Day on September 9, when California was admitted as a state into the U.S. See also 96-07-08-alb05-136, with caption: "Market St. Sept 9, 1910 S.F."

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 273

    Caption: "U.S. 10-inch Gun Dismounted." A close-up view of a large gun that has been partially dismounted, at an unidentified coastal defense battery.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 032

    No Caption: c. 1908-1912. Group of men posing around a 12-inch disappearing gun. Retracting or disappearing guns were a form of artillery developed in the nineteenth century in which heavy artillery guns were placed on rotating carriages that allowed retraction of the weapon after firing, to enable reloading while under enemy fire. Such guns were often used in coastal fortifications.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 113

    Caption: "Republic Statue Jackson Park Chicago," c. 1925. Designed by Chester French (sculptor), this version of the Statue of the Republic has stood in Chicago's Jackson Park since its construction in 1918. It is a one-third replica of a statue at the World's Columbian Exposition, held at Chicago in 1893.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 01, Photograph 047

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy (left) and friend sitting in the Electric Motor Chair, also known as the Osborn Electriquette, with William McCarthy standing by, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 075

    Caption: "Sea Beach Hotel," c. 1910. The Sea Beach Hotel, located on Beach Hill in Santa Cruz, was built in the 1870s by S.A. Hall. Originally called the Ocean View House, it was sold in the 1880s. Its new owner dubbed the building the Sea Beach Hotel. The resort hotel operated until burning down in 1912, never to be reconstructed.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 046

    No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb06-108, with caption: "Crockett Mandolin Club," c. 1906. William McCarthy is seen strumming the mandolin, second from left.

    Date: 1906