Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 16 of 16

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 167

    Caption: "Negro Lady, Hardeville [sic], S.C. July 16, 1934." Unidentified woman posing in front of a dilapidated home.

    Date: 7/16/1934

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 044

    Caption: "Tree Bareing [sic] 8 Varieties of Fruit. Shields Date Gardens - Blythe, Calif. May 31, 1935," shows William McCarthy standing next to a tree that bears eight varieties of fruit.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 183

    Caption: "Double Bow Knot Mt Tamalpais," c. 1907. A bird's eye view of the twisty road up Mount Tamalpais in Marin County.

    Date: 1907

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 222

    Caption: "Logging Train -- Scene in Washington," c. 1905-1909. This photograph shows the final cars on a logging train in Washington, with a caboose at the end, traveling over a trestle under cloudy skies.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 204

    Caption: "Broadway At Bowling Green N.Y." Street scene in New York City, showing Broadway near the small public park Bowling Green. See also 96-07-08-alb04-076 and 96-07-08-alb11-233.

    Date: 8/31/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 321

    Caption: "#2 -- Record Oct 25, 09." This postcard shows plume of seawater thrown up by a mortar shell during target practice at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, however, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1909-10-25

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 158

    Caption: "Washington," State of Washington Building at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-138.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 146

    Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Store House," c. 1905. The Benicia Arsenal Store House, also known as the Clocktower building, was erected in 1859 at three stories high. In 1912, an explosion and fire caused extensive damage, after which it was rebuilt as a two-story structure.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 267

    Caption: "Michigan Avenue and Business Section, Chicago. Ill. Sept. 15, 1934." View of a portion of Chicago's skyline from Michigan Avenue.

    Date: 9/15/1934

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 043

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy standing in front of a door at an unidentified location, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 242

    Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.

    Date: 9/5/1934

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 063

    No caption: Grace McCarthy (right) and an unidentified women, likely her sister, sitting in a parlor at an unidentified location, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 204

    Caption: "Emerald Lake - Canada," c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 072

    No Caption: William and Grace McCarthy standing before the Fountain of Energy (A. Stirling Calder, sculptor), at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-055.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 161

    Caption: "Government exhibits of clothing, Government Building." This exhibit demonstrates a variety of military uniforms, displayed on mannequins. It was located in the Government Building of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 161

    Caption: "Crown Point.," c. 1920. Shows the Vista House, built in 1918 as a memorial to Oregon's pioneers. Designed by Edgar M. Lazarus, it sits atop Crown Point, a rocky promontory overlooking the Columbia River gorge, along the Historic Columbia River Highway.

    Date: 1920