Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8
-
Caption: "State Capitol, Richmond, Virginia. July 21, 1934." Virginia's State Capitol is visible in the left side of this photograph, while the Virginia Washington Monument can be seen at the right. The Capitol, designed largely by Thomas Jefferson and French architect Charles-Louis Clérisseau, was sufficiently complete by October 1792 for the Virginia General Assembly to meet within its walls. The building served as the capitol of the Confederacy during the Civil War. The Virginia Washington Monument, completed in 1869, features a 21-foot-tall statue of George Washington, mounted on a horse.
Date: 7/21/1934
-
*Caption: "The White House." East Wing of the White House in Washington, D.C. The Neoclassical-style residence and work place of the United States President, designed by James Hoban, was constructed between 1792 and 1800. See also 96-07-08-alb09-222 and 96-07-08-alb11-183.
Date: 1934
-
No Caption: Grace and William McCarthy sitting together at an unidentified location, c. 1906.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Fillmore St," c. 1908. A view of San Francisco's Fillmore Street at night, which has been decorated with garlands of electric lights along the length of the street.
Date: 1908
-
No caption. Unidentified machinery at the Crockett Sugar Mill, c. 1906.
Date: 1906
-
No Caption: Palace of Fine Arts seen through arch at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Sam Houston Monument -- Houston Tex. June 8, 34." View of the San Houston Monument, a twenty-foot-tall bronze sculpture designed by Enrico Cerracchio and dedicated in 1925. The sculpture commemorates Sam Houston, a prominent soldier and politician who served as the first and third President of the Republic of Texas before its annexation to the U.S. Houston also served as Governor of Texas and as a U.S. Senator for both Texas and Tennessee.
Date: 6/8/1934
-
Caption: "State Capitol Building -- Salt Lake City," c. 1916. View of Utah's State Capitol Building, designed by Richard K.A. Kletting and built between 1912 and 1916.
Date: 1916