Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 6 of 6
-
Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.
Date: 9/5/1934
-
No caption: Grace McCarthy (right) and an unidentified women, likely her sister, sitting in a parlor at an unidentified location, c. 1906.
Date: 1906
-
-
No Caption: William and Grace McCarthy standing before the Fountain of Energy (A. Stirling Calder, sculptor), at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-055.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Government exhibits of clothing, Government Building." This exhibit demonstrates a variety of military uniforms, displayed on mannequins. It was located in the Government Building of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Crown Point.," c. 1920. Shows the Vista House, built in 1918 as a memorial to Oregon's pioneers. Designed by Edgar M. Lazarus, it sits atop Crown Point, a rocky promontory overlooking the Columbia River gorge, along the Historic Columbia River Highway.
Date: 1920