Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 9 of 9
-
Caption: "Chicago Fair Grounds at Night. Sept. 22, 1934." View of a portion of the Century of Progress Exposition as seen at night. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms."
Date: 9/22/1934
-
Caption: "Totem Pole, Seattle." Seattle, Washington, c. 1905. View of the Tlingit totem pole in Seattle's Pioneer Square. The totem pole was stolen in 1899 by a group of businessmen, and erected in the square, then known as Pioneer Place. An arsonist destroyed this pole in 1938, but it was later replaced by another carved by the Tlingit tribe (who were also finally paid for the original pole).
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Educational and Liberal Arts Buildings," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: 'Victoria Glaciers above Lake Louise - Alberta, Canada," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
No caption. An unidentified woman seated on a horse saddled in English tack at the John Shields house in the Daybreak Estates area of Long Island.
Date: 1934
-
Caption: "N.P. Ferry. Columbia River." See also 96-07-08-alb08-114 with caption: "Ferry Boat Tacoma on the Columbia River," Pacific Northwest, c. 1905. View of the railroad ferry Tacoma, with a train on board. The Tacoma operated from 1884 until 1908, when a railroad bridge was constructed across the Columbia connecting Portland, Oregon with points north of the river.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Tatoosh Mountain Range - Rainier National Park Lodge," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Pasadena," c. 1915, shows the Hotel Green, built by George Gill Green in 1893, and expanded by him in 1898 and 1903 with two additional structures. The hotel complex was sold to private investors and by 1924, the 1898 Central Annex structure (Frederick L. Roehrig, architect) was turned into apartments and renamed the Castle Green. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the California Register of Historic Places, and the City of Pasadena's list of historic places.
Date: 1915
-
No caption. Unidentified woman standing in front of a palm at an unidentified location, c. 1908.
Date: 1908