Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 7 of 7
-
Caption: "Butcharts Gardens, Victoria, B.C." c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Many Glaciers Hotel on Swift Current Lake Shore, Glacier National Park," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
No Caption: Shows a group of people on a boat and standing in the Russian River at Healdsburg, c. 1915.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Officers Quarters -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1912. Shows a row of multi-story homes along a landscaped street. Fort Winfield Scott was a coastal artillery post at the San Francisco Presidio. Originally named Fort Point, it was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, until 1886 when the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1912
-
Caption: "Detail of Tower." Design and drawing by Alfred Eichler. Built in 1930. This was one of the first border stations and was situated in desert country; its purpose was to provide a stopping place for inspection of motor traffic coming into California in order to enforce quarantine against insect infestation of California agricultural products. Project for Department of Agriculture.
Date: 1930
-
Caption: "Fort Baker, California," c. 1910. Fort Baker was constructed between 1901 and 1910 to provide permanent housing for the new seacoast fortifications that were built between 1897 and 1905. The men stationed at Fort Baker were members of the Coast Artillery Corps, officially created in 1907 by the U.S. Army to protect and defend the nation's harbors.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "Miami Beach -- Florida, June 30." Crowded beach scene with palm trees at the right and the water in the distance to the left.
Date: 6/30/1934