Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 5 of 5

  • eichler_f3274_068

    Caption: "[Building for Employees,] California School for Blind, Berkeley." Design and color rendering by Alfred Eichler, c. 1930. Built. Caption nearly illegible due to tears on image. Project for Department of Education.

    Date: 1930

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 271

    Caption: "Parkway and Dome of Ford Building. Chicago Fair. Sept. 17, 34." Several pedestrians wander along a parkway with a small lagoon and fountains, flanked by benches and manicured hedges. The Ford Building rises in the distance. The Exposition, a world fair attended by thirty-nine million people, celebrated Chicago's one-hundred year anniversary of incorporation. Originally planned to only run from May to November in 1933, it was such a success that its organizers decided to keep it running for a second season from May through October the following year. The central theme of the Exposition was technological innovation, with a motto of "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Conforms." None of the buildings constructed for the fair are still extant today, having been built as temporary facilities.

    Date: 9/17/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 066

    No caption, c. 1912-1915. Shows a Curtiss Pusher Model D Biplane, an early biplane with one seat, open to the elements. The "pusher" designation indicates that the propeller is seated behind the engine.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 072

    Caption: "Music Stand Golden Gate Park," c. 1912-1915. View of the Spreckels Temple of Music, commonly known as the Music Stand or the Bandshell. The Temple was built in 1899-1900 at the west end of the Music Concourse in Golden Gate Park. A gift to the City of San Francisco from sugar magnate Claus Spreckels, the Temple has been extensively renovated over the years to repair earthquake damage.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House, Wash." c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.

    Date: 1905