Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 3 of 3
-
No Caption: c. 1920. Image of the main building of Sutter's Fort. John Sutter established the fort in 1839, calling it New Helvetia. After the discovery of gold at one of Sutter's mills (at Coloma, on the American River), almost all of the fort's inhabitants left for the gold fields in the foothills. The fort deteriorated until being restored from 1891-1893. The Native Sons of the Golden West were influential in the restoration. The fort is now the site of a State Historic Park. See also 96-07-08-alb05-117 and 118.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "City Hall San Jose," c. 1905 (Theodore Lenzen, Architect), served as the San Jose City Hall from 1889 until it was demolished and replaced in 1958.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Pump Room and Boiler House," c. 1906, shows a man posing for a photograph next to machinery at the Crockett Sugar Mill.
Date: 1906