Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 17 of 17

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 230

    Caption: "Pinnacles," c. 1920. Grace McCarthy seated on a rocky outcropping in front of cliffs with unique rock formations in background. Pinnacles National Park was formerly Pinnacles National Monument, established in 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt. The rock formations are the eroded remains of the Neenach Volcano.

    Date: 1920

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 290

    Caption: "Big trees growing in solid rock. Yosemite National Park," c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 032

    Caption: "Alcatraz," c. 1920. Image of lighthouse, main prison building (at top of hill), residences, and wharf facilities at Alcatraz Island prior to its designation as a federal penitentiary in 1934. Built in 1859 by the U.S. Army for coastal defense purposes, the fort at Alcatraz began serving as a prison in 1861. It ceased function as a defense fortification and became the Pacific Branch of the U.S. Military Prison in 1907. Over the next two decades the facilities on the island were modified and modernized.

    Date: 1920

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 270

    Caption: "Loop in Oregon Caves Highway," c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 105

    Caption: "Hialeah Race Track -- Miami -- Florida July 1, 1934." Grace McCarthy standing behind the grandstand at Hialeah Park Race Track, in Hialeah (near Miami). Constructed in 1922 as a greyhound racetrack, Hialeah began hosting horse races in 1925. Joseph E. Widener purchased the track in 1930. He embarked upon a series of improvements, adding a grandstand (seen here) and clubhouse facilities designed by Lester W. Geisler, as well as landscaped gardens and a lake in the infield that became home to a flock of flamingos. The new and improved Hialeah track, now called Hialeah Park, officially opened in 1932.

    Date: 7/1/1934

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 071

    Caption: "State Capitol Tallahassee, Florida, June 23, 1934." View of the Florida State Capitol building, constructed in 1845. The dome, visible in the center of the photograph, was added in 1902. The building was altered and expanded several more times over the years, until a new State Capitol was built in the late 1970s. The old Capitol building was subsequently restored to its 1902 appearance and reopened to the public in 1982.

    Date: 6/23/1934

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 025

    No Caption: Fountain of Autumn (Furio Piccirilli, sculptor), in the Court of the Four Seasons at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, 1915.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 241

    No Caption. William McCarthy posing for a photograph in front of a pine tree, c. 1908.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 215

    *Caption: "Stanford University Chapel," c. 1920. Five unidentified women standing in front of the Stanford Memorial Chapel on the campus of Stanford University. Designed by Charles A. Coolidge and dedicated in 1903, the church was commissioned by Jane Stanford as a memorial to her husband, Leland Stanford. See also 96-07-08-alb04-202 and 96-07-08-alb05-063.

    Date: 1920

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 057

    Caption: "Fort Flagler Beach," Washington, c. 1909.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 280

    No caption, c. 1935. View of the side/back of Half Dome. Cables used to assist hikers in ascending the summit can be seen at the left side of the photograph.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 418

    Caption: "Home of ex U.S. Ambassador Dwight Morrow - Cuernavaca, Mexico." Pictured is the former home of Dwight Whitney Morrow (1873-1931). Morrow was appointed Ambassador to Mexico by President Calvin Coolidge from 1927 - 1930.

    Date: 1938

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 057

    Caption: "Snow Scene -- Port Townsend.," c. 1908-1912. Group of unidentified men standing in two groups in the snow.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 196

    Caption: "Casino Santa Cruz," c. 1910-1915, on the Santa Cruz boardwalk, opened in 1907, replacing the original 1904 casino that had burned down in 1906.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 109

    Caption: "Santa Clara Mission," c. 1910. Founded in 1777, Mission Santa Clara featured several different churches over the years. This photograph shows the mission church as it appeared from roughly 1861 to 1926. In the 1860s, Santa Clara College President Burchard Villager decided to rebuild many of the buildings on the campus. In the process, the mission church was renovated in the Italianate style, with a second bell tower. This Italianate-style church burned in 1926. The church was then rebuilt as a modern reconstruction of the fifth church on the site, the original of which was destroyed by fire in 1825.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 016

    No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb07-282 with caption: "Riverside Villa Aug. 15, 1915." The McCarthys (William sitting in center, with Grace eighth from the right) with friends and family at Riverside Villa along the Russian River in Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California, 1915.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 012

    Caption: "California Coast Highway - Oxnard to Santa Monica, May 24, 1935."

    Date: 1935