Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8
-
Caption: "Battery Spencer. Highest 12" Battery in the World." With construction begun in 1893, Battery Spencer, located at Fort Baker in Marin County on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, was one of the main protection points for the San Francisco harbor from 1897 until it was deactivated in 1942. It was named for Major General Joseph Spencer of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
Date: 1908
-
Caption: "Views from Highlands Inn," c. 1920. View of the D.L. James House, designed by Charles Greene and built in 1918. The picturesque stone house sits atop a rocky cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, a few miles south of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "Alcatraz," c. 1906. View of Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay. The building on the highest part of the island, just to the left of center in the photograph, is the Alcatraz Citadel (also known as Fort Alcatraz). Built in 1859 by the U.S. Army for coastal defense purposes, the Citadel began serving as a prison in 1861. It ceased function as a defense fortification and became the Pacific Branch of the U.S. Military Prison in 1907. The Citadel was demolished in 1909. Over the next two decades the facilities on the island were modified and modernized, becoming a federal penitentiary in 1934.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Varied Industries Building P.C. Exp." William McCarthy is seen standing near the Varied Industries Building, with the California Building in the background, at the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park, San Diego. See also 96-07-08-alb01-157.
Date: 1915
-
No caption, c. 1935. William McCarthy standing at the doorway of a snowed-in cabin in Yosemite National Park.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Old Time Gun." at unidentified location, c. 1905.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "N.Y. City." View of Manhattan's skyline as viewed from the Brooklyn Bridge in 1934. See also 96-07-08-alb11-205.
Date: 8/7/1934
-
Caption: "The Arescope [sic] P.P.I.E." at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, was designed by Joseph Strauss, who later was the chief engineer for San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
Date: 1915