Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 012

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy standing on the banks of the Russian River at Monte Rio resort, in Sonoma County, c. 1910.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 078

    Caption: "Ver De Leu [sic], Santa Cruz," c. 1910. Ocean shore scene with rocks, waves, and high spray. The Vue de L'eau (View of the Water) was a station on the Santa Cruz, Garfield Park and Capitola Electric Railway electric streetcar line. The station, built in 1891, was located at the very end of the line, on a promontory overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It featured an observatory on the top story. The same company also built a casino, ballroom, and restaurant nearby. The station burned down in 1925.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 130

    Caption: "St. Josephs Oratore [sic] - Montreal.," c. 1925. Unidentified man and Grace McCarthy pose in front of the St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal, a Roman Catholic basilica and shrine. Work on the building began in 1924, and continued until 1967. Only the first level of the building had been completed when this photograph was taken.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 293

    Caption: " Rugged Cliffs," c. 1917. View of a sheer cliff face with rocky, timbered mountains beyond.

    Date: 1917

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 083

    Caption: "City Hall - St. Louis," c. 1923. Grace McCarthy poses in front of the St. Louis City Hall, while a man mows the lawn and an adult and child stroll on the sidewalk. The French Renaissance Revival style building, designed by George Richard Mann, has been home to the city's governmental offices since 1898.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 117

    Caption: "Sutro Baths S.F.," c. 1910. Interior shot of the Sutro Baths, north of the Cliff House. Designed by Adolph Sutro in 1894, the bathhouses at one time covered three oceanfront acres just north of Ocean Beach and the Cliff House. Eventually, the Sutro Baths fell into disrepair and what was left of them burned down in 1966. Since 1973, the concrete ruins have been part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. See also 96-07-08-alb02-023.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 270

    Caption: "Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite," c. 1935. Grace McCarthy standing before Bridal Veil Falls in Yosemite National Park.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 198

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy sits before the crashing surf at Santa Cruz, c. 1910. See also 96-07-08-alb08-195.

    Date: 1910