Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 7 of 7
-
No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb08-182, with caption: "San Francsico April 17, 1906. Center of Town." Bird's eye view of the center of San Francisco before the 1906 earthquake and fire. The Call Building (built in the 1890s to house the San Francisco Call newspaper) is the tallest building in the photograph, just to the right of center.
Date: 1906
-
No Caption: This postcard shows a view of the Government Building and the Cascades (a terraced fountain leading up to the building), part of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus. See also 96-07-08-alb05-212.
Date: 1909
-
Caption: "Temple Drive to Cave of the Winds," c. 1923. Bird's eye view of a road at the bottom of a canyon, on a drive to Cave of the Winds. Two brothers discovered the entrance to the large cave system in 1880, in Williams Canyon just outside of Manitou Springs. Further exploration resulted in opening more caverns within the system, and the site became a tourist attraction, with guided tours having been on offer since 1881.
Date: 1923
-
No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb06-227, with caption: "Field Piece in Action." Unidentified location, c. 1905.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "N.Y. Sky Line From Brooklyn Bridge." View of New York City's skyline, as seen from the Brooklyn Bridge. A portion of the bridge (designed by architect John Augustus Roebling and completed in 1883) can be seen in the right hand side of the photograph. See also 96-07-08-alb09-165.
Date: 8/7/1934
-
Caption: "Granite Formation," c. 1917. A granite wall towers above the Merced River in this photograph of a portion of the Yosemite Valley.
Date: 1917
-
Caption: "East Lake [sic] Park," c. 1910. Eastlake Park in Los Angeles was originally created by the city in 1881 under the name "East Los Angeles Park." Renamed Eastlake Park in 1901, it gained its current name, Lincoln Park, in 1917. In this photograph, Grace McCarthy, seen from across East Lake, stands at the lake's edge on the right, surrounded by lush vegetation and park benches.
Date: 1910