Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 17 of 17

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 081

    Caption: "Fort Townsend," c. 1906. Park-like scene, with buildings in the distance and a flag pole at the right. The U.S. Army established Fort Townsend in 1856. Abandoned after a fire destroyed the barracks buildings in 1895, it was reactivated during World War II to serve as a munitions defusing station. It was turned over to the State of Washington in 1953, and is now in use as Fort Townsend State Park.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 034

    No Caption: Shows an unidentified pond or lake in a Los Angeles area park, c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 046

    No Caption: A smiling William McCarthy standing before a high fence at an unidentified location, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 402

    No Caption: A section from an informational tourist brochure, describing the towns of Cholula and Puebla.

    Date: 1938

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 263

    Caption: "Camp Life -- Chino." Unidentified child and baby on bed under tree in garden or yard.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 02, Photograph 034

    No Caption: See also 96-07-08-alb03-097 with caption: "Wave on Bakers Beach Presidio," San Francisco, California, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 319

    Caption: "Aeroplane -- Monte Rio,, Calif.," c. 1915. Biplane parked in a field, with an unidentified man on crutches nearby.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 042

    Caption: "Bear Decending [sic] a Tree," c. 1923. The bear in 96-07-08-alb09-041 is seen beginning his descent from the tree in this photograph.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 190

    Caption: "Old Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. July 28, 1934." Taken from across a park, this photograph shows the Smithsonian complex rising above surrounding trees. Built in 1855, it houses the Smithsonian Institute's administrative offices and information center.

    Date: 7/28/1934

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 120

    Caption: "Tiajuana [sic] on a Winters Day," c. 1915-1916. Rainy street scene in Tijuana, showing Miguel Gonzalez Big Curio Store and Tijuana Bar and Casino.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 069

    Caption: "Apple Show Watsonville.," c. 1910-1913. Display of apples at the Apple Show in Watsonville, held annually from 1910-1913. The four-day festival featured parades, displays, dances, shows, and, of course, apples. The 1910 show, for instance, featured over 2,530,000 apples.

    Date: 1913

  • McCarthy Album 01, Photograph 065

    No Caption: Fountain of the Earth (Robert I. Aitken, sculptor), in the Court of Abundance, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 01, Photograph 067

    Caption: "Court of Abundance," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 034

    Caption: "U.S. Mint unhurt," c. 1906. Pictured is the U.S. Mint building in San Francisco, which opened in 1874, after the original 1854 building was outgrown, which had been established to serve the gold mines during the California Gold Rush. The building suffered little damage after the 1906 earthquake. The facility served as the San Francisco U.S. Mint until 1937, when workers moved to a larger and more modern building. In 1961, the old U.S. Mint, known as the "Granite Lady," was designated a National Historic Landmark.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 321b

    This warning sticker advertises "FIRE! Keep it away form our National Parks." The silhouette of a skeletal tree stretches bare branches toward the viewer.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 126

    Caption: "St. Lawrence River Rapids," c. 1925. View of white caps on the Saint Lawrence River. This river is part of the international boundary between Ontario, Canada, and New York, U.S.A.

    Date: 1925

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 293

    Caption: "Old Sea Beach Hotel - Santa Cruz," c. 1910. The Sea Beach Hotel, located on Beach Hill in Santa Cruz, was built in the 1870s by S.A. Hall. Originally called the Ocean View House, it was sold in the 1880s. Its new owner dubbed the building the Sea Beach Hotel. The resort hotel operated until burning down in 1912, never to be reconstructed.

    Date: 1910