Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 9 of 9
-
Caption: "Japanese Garden, Golden Gate Park.," c. 1905. View of the five-acre Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Established in 1894 by George Turner Marsh for the Midwinter Exposition of that year, it is the oldest public Japanese Tea Garden in the U.S.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "The Racetrack," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915
-
No caption. Clipping from an unidentified newspaper or pamphlet entitled "Route of U.S. air mail route from New York to Macao." It shows an airmail route traveling from New York, west across the U.S. to the Hawaiian Islands, then to "Midway Islands," Wake Island, Guam, "Philippine Islands", and finally Macao, China.
Date: Undated
-
Caption: "Machinists and Millrights [sic], Crockett Sugar Mill," c. 1906, shows a group photo of sugar mill employees. William McCarthy is seen kneeling in front row (fourth from right).
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Tioga Road Scenes on the Sierra Summit." Two mountain peaks as seen from the Tioga Road.
Date: 1927
-
Caption: "Fort Casey Light House, Wash." c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Alhambra Springs," caption label only, refers to photographs 111 - 114 of album 6.
Date: Undated
-
Caption: "Mortar Gun Practice -- Full Service, Fort Worden, Pt Townsend, Wash," c. 1910. The postcard shows several Howitzers, one of which is firing, as well as a group of men standing to the side with their hands over their ears. Construction began on Fort Worden in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.
Date: 1910
-
Caption: "San Juan Mission," c. 1918, in San Benito County was established by Spanish Franciscans in 1797.
Date: 1918