Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 3 of 3

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 201

    Caption: "Mission Cliff, San Diego.," c. 1905. View of the pavilion in San Diego's Mission Cliff Gardens. Originally opened in the 1880s as the "Bluffs" by the San Diego Cable Railway Company, the owners hoped to entice people to ride the cable cars by providing a recreational destination. The pavilion seen in the photograph was constructed in 1890. A few years later, the Citizens' Traction Company purchased the park and changed its name to Mission Cliff Park. In 1898, the property was sold yet again, this time to J.D. Spreckels and the San Diego Electric Railway Company. Spreckels hoped to transform the property into a quiet, restful, public botanical garden. The name changed again, to Mission Cliff Gardens, to reflect this change in direction for the park. The botanical gardens developed at the park became world-renowned before closing to the public in 1929. The property was subdivided in 1942, into residential lots.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 239

    Caption: "Fort Point," c. 1910. This postcard shows a view of Fort Point, at the entrance to San Francisco Bay. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 028

    Caption: "#4 -- Record Oct 25, 09." This postcard shows plume of seawater thrown up by a mortar shell during target practice at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott, but in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 10/25/1909