Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 7 of 7

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 226

    No Caption: View of Point Loma Light. First lit in 1891, this light replaced the "Old Point Loma Lighthouse" that had been constructed in 1855 (see 96-07-08-alb08-225). The old lighthouse was often obscured by fog, so a new lighthouse was built at a lower elevation much closer to sea level, as can be seen in this photograph. The light was automated in 1973. See also 96-07-08-alb05-232.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 004

    No caption. Photograph of a forest in the foreground and a granite mountain in the distance, at an unidentified location.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 198

    Caption: "Coronado Hotel, San Diego, Cal.," c. 1910-1913. View of the Coronado Hotel, with beach in the foreground. At the time it opened in 1888, this hotel was the largest beach resort in the world. The Ballroom Tower, the highest point of the building, is 120 feet tall. See also 96-07-08-alb05-201.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 210

    Caption: "Mission Dolores. The old landmark stood," 1906. Mission Delores, the oldest intact building still standing in San Francisco today, suffered little damage from the 1906 earthquake. The parish church next to it was greatly damaged and rebuilt as the Mission Dolores Basilica, opened in 1918.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 331

    Caption: "Officers Quarters -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1912. Shows a row of multi-story homes along a landscaped street. Fort Winfield Scott was a coastal artillery post at the San Francisco Presidio. Originally named Fort Point, it was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, until 1886 when the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1912

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 174

    Caption: "State Capitol, Richmond, Virginia. July 21, 1934." Virginia's State Capitol is visible in the left side of this photograph, while the Virginia Washington Monument can be seen at the right. The Capitol, designed largely by Thomas Jefferson and French architect Charles-Louis Clérisseau, was sufficiently complete by October 1792 for the Virginia General Assembly to meet within its walls. The building served as the capitol of the Confederacy during the Civil War. The Virginia Washington Monument, completed in 1869, features a 21-foot-tall statue of George Washington, mounted on a horse.

    Date: 7/21/1934

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 085

    *Caption: "The White House." East Wing of the White House in Washington, D.C. The Neoclassical-style residence and work place of the United States President, designed by James Hoban, was constructed between 1792 and 1800. See also 96-07-08-alb09-222 and 96-07-08-alb11-183.

    Date: 1934