Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 6 of 6

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 206

    Caption: "Call Building," c. 1906. The remains of the Call building after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Completed in 1898 and designed by civic leader Claus Spreckels, the Call building on the corner of 3rd and Market streets was one of the first skyscrapers in San Francisco, built to house the San Francisco Call newspaper offices. While the structure withstood the 1906 earthquake, the interior caught fire and sustained considerable damage. After major renovations, the building is today known as The Central Tower.

    Date: 1906

  • Old Series Trademark No. 0559
  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 308

    No Caption: William and Grace McCarthy standing on a rock near a waterfall at Yosemite National Park, c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 045

    Caption: "Colorado River at Blythe, Calif. May 31, 1935."

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 040

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy sitting in a horse-drawn buggy next to an apple tree, likely on the McCarthy property in Watsonville, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 260

    Caption: "Fairmount [sic] Hotel - S.F.," C. 1906. View of the Fairmont Hotel, a luxury hotel in San Francisco. Although construction was mostly finished in 1906, the advent of the San Francisco earthquake and fire of that year damaged the hotel's interior and delayed opening until 1907. It was the first hotel in what is now the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain. In 1945, the San Francisco hotel was host to an international conference that culminated in the formation of the United Nations.

    Date: 1910