Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 17 of 17

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 270

    Caption: "U.S. 1-inch Gun, Subcaliber Practice." c. 1905. William McCarthy poses next to a large piece of heavy artillery at what appears to be a battery for coastal defense.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 011

    Caption: "S.P. Track - Crossing Great Salt Lake.," c. 1923. The Southern Pacific Railroad constructed the trestle shown in this photograph, known as the Lucin Cutoff, between 1902 to 1904. It crosses the Great Salt Lake, between Ogden and Lucin. The trestle was replaced by a causeway of dirt and rock in the 1950s.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 003

    Caption: "Cliff S.F." The Cliff House and Ocean Beach in San Francisco shows people on the beach and walking up the road to the Cliff House, c. 1910. The photograph shows the third Cliff House built on this site, which opened in 1909, and was built with steel-reinforced concrete. The original Cliff House was built in 1863 and was destroyed by fire on Christmas day in 1894. The second, Victorian- style Cliff House was completed in 1896, and although it survived the 1906 earthquake and fires, it burned to the ground in 1907 (see 96-07-08-alb06-280).

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 063

    Caption: "Steamer, Princess Beatrice, Seattle.," c. 1908-1912. View of the Princess Beatrice, a steamship operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) between Seattle, Washington, and Victoria, British Columbia. Built in 1903, she made her first trip in January 1904. The CPR operated several ships in the Pacific Northwest, all of which were christened with "Princess" in the name. As a result, the CPR naval fleet was often referred to as "The Pacific Princesses" or the "Princess Fleet."

    Date: 1908

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2964
  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 069

    Caption: "Seven Falls - Colorado Springs," c. 1923. View from the top of a narrow wooden staircase, looking back down onto a resort building and a small creek. The stairs lead to a series of seven cascading waterfalls of South Cheyenne Creek. The area has been a privately-owned tourist attraction since the 1880s.

    Date: 1923

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1225

    Four Shilling Tea Co.

    Date: 1885

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2144

    Somps Soda Works

    Date: 1892

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3095

    The Ralpha

    Date: 1897

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1630

    Excelsior Brand

    Date: 1888

  • eichler_f3274_051

    Caption: "U. S. Post Office, California State Prison - San Quentin. Dept. of Public Works, Division of Architecture, Sacramento. George B. McDougall, State Architect." Design and drawing by Alfred Eichler, c. 1935. Built. Project for Department of Corrections.

    Date: 1935

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2319

    Chico Canyon Fruit Farm

    Date: 1893

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3315

    Phoenix Malt Extract

    Date: 1898

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3273

    Royal Stag O. K.

    Date: 1898

  • Old Series Trademark No. 3270

    California Cream of Wheat Mush

    Date: 1898

  • Old Series Trademark No. 2577

    Lowen Brau

    Date: 1895

  • Old Series Trademark No. 1758

    The Champion Cocktail Bitters

    Date: 1889