Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 2 of 2
-
Caption: "Union Depot - Kansas City," c. 1923. This Beaux Arts-style rail station opened in 1914, replacing a small depot from 1871. Decreasing rail passenger traffic after World War II resulted in the closure of the depot in 1985. However, the restored depot later reopened in 1999, containing museums and other attractions. In 2002, it was again put to service as a rail depot when Amtrak again brought passenger trains to the area.
Date: 1923
-
Caption: "Desdamona [sic] Lighthouse.," c. 1905-1909. View of the Desdemona Lighthouse, constructed in 1901 or 1902 on wood pilings over a group of shoals at the mouth of the Columbia River. The shoals carry the same name as the lighthouse, both of which are named for the boat Desdemona which ran aground and was destroyed by the shoals in 1857. The lighthouse was automated in 1934, and its light eventually removed in 1965.
Date: 1905