Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 173

    Caption: "The Racetrack," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 314a

    No caption. Clipping from an unidentified newspaper or pamphlet entitled "Route of U.S. air mail route from New York to Macao." It shows an airmail route traveling from New York, west across the U.S. to the Hawaiian Islands, then to "Midway Islands," Wake Island, Guam, "Philippine Islands", and finally Macao, China.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 107

    Caption: "Machinists and Millrights [sic], Crockett Sugar Mill," c. 1906, shows a group photo of sugar mill employees. William McCarthy is seen kneeling in front row (fourth from right).

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 050

    Caption: "Tioga Road Scenes on the Sierra Summit." Two mountain peaks as seen from the Tioga Road.

    Date: 1927

  • McCarthy Album 03, Photograph 065

    Caption: "Fort Casey Light House, Wash." c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 111.0

    Caption: "Alhambra Springs," caption label only, refers to photographs 111 - 114 of album 6.

    Date: Undated

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 012

    Caption: "Mortar Gun Practice -- Full Service, Fort Worden, Pt Townsend, Wash," c. 1910. The postcard shows several Howitzers, one of which is firing, as well as a group of men standing to the side with their hands over their ears. Construction began on Fort Worden in 1898, and by 1902 it was serving as an active U.S. Army base. Fort Worden was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. The U.S. sold the property to the state of Washington in 1957. In 1973, the fort and surrounding area opened as Fort Worden State Park.

    Date: 1910

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 181

    Caption: "San Juan Mission," c. 1918, in San Benito County was established by Spanish Franciscans in 1797.

    Date: 1918