Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 13 of 13

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 208

    Caption: "Elevated R.R. View from Williamsburg Bridge. New York, Aug. 9, 1934." Bird's eye view of a portion of New York City, from the Williamsburg Bridge over the East River. An elevated railway dominates the center of the photograph.

    Date: 8/9/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 054

    Caption: "U. S. 12" Barbett [sic] Carriage & Gun at Fort Flagler.," c. 1908-1912. View of a 12" disappearing gun installed at Fort Flagler. The coastal artillery fortification Fort Flagler was established in 1897 and activated in 1899. Most of the fort's buildings and batteries had been completed by 1907. Fort Flagler was part of the "triangle of fire," three coastal defense fortifications (Fort Casey, Fort Worden, and Fort Flagler) guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. Fort Flagler was decommissioned in 1953, and purchased by the State of Washington in 1955 for use as a state park.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 092

    Caption: "Blackstone Hotel - Michigan Ave. Chicago," c. 1923. Built in 1909 and designed by Benjamin Marshall, the twenty-one story Blackstone Hotel sits on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Balbo Drive in Chicago Illinois. It is the building closest to the left side of the photograph in this row of high-rises. See also 96-07-08-alb04-074.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 046

    Caption: "Band of Sheep, Port Townsend.," c. 1908-1912. This photograph shows a herd of sheep grazing in a wooded area near Port Townsend, Washington.

    Date: 1908

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 125

    No Caption: This postcard shows a view of the Government Building and the Cascades (a terraced fountain leading up to the building), part of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Held in Seattle to celebrate the development of the Pacific Northwest, the fair attracted 3.7 million visitors over the course of its run from June to October 1909. Although most of the fair's buildings have since been destroyed, several of them now serve as part of the University of Washington campus. See also 96-07-08-alb05-212.

    Date: 1909

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 130

    Caption: "Ukiah," c. 1920. Street scene in Ukiah, with Ukiah Stables and The Richelieu at right.

    Date: 1920

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 073

    Caption: "Temple Drive to Cave of the Winds," c. 1923. Bird's eye view of a road at the bottom of a canyon, on a drive to Cave of the Winds. Two brothers discovered the entrance to the large cave system in 1880, in Williams Canyon just outside of Manitou Springs. Further exploration resulted in opening more caverns within the system, and the site became a tourist attraction, with guided tours having been on offer since 1881.

    Date: 1923

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 226

    Caption: "Butcharts Gardens, Victoria, B.C." c. 1935, shows Grace McCarthy standing in the gardens.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 090

    Caption: "Boulder Dam. View Taken From Launch on Boulder Lake," c. 1935, shows Lake Mead, the largest man-made reservoir in the United States, providing water to the states of Arizona, California, and Nevada.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 263

    Caption: Snow Tunnel on Crater Lake Trail to Watchman Point," c. 1935, shows Grace McCarthy standing on the trail.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 247

    Caption: "Portland Auto Camp - Portland, Oregon - Population 310,000." c. 1935.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 221

    Caption: "Daybreak. Front View, Long Island, New York. Aug. 20, 1934." Residence of John Shields, on Long Island in the Daybreak Estate area. See also 96-07-08-alb09-159.

    Date: 8/20/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 099

    No caption, c. 1909-1915. Group of unidentified men gathered around a part of what appears to be a 12-inch mortar at Fort Ruger, Hawaii. Fort Ruger was established on the Island of O'ahu by the U.S. in 1906 as the Diamond Head Reservation. Its name was changed to Fort Ruger in 1909. See also 96-07-08-alb05-098 and 100.

    Date: 1915