Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 2 of 2

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 311

    Caption: "Cooking Apparatus. One in Place on Motor, Two Removed. Oct. 10, 1934." This photograph shows three metal boxes used by the McCarthys for cooking during their five-month cross-country auto trip. One of the boxes is set on the engine of their automobile to heat the contents.

    Date: 10/10/1934

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 277

    Caption: "Life At Camp Curry," c. 1917. Two unidentified people pose in front of their tent at Camp Curry. An arrow points to an enameled pail just inside the tent, labeled "For Use in Case of Fire." Yosemite's Half Dome Village, established by David and Jennie Curry in 1899, was originally called Camp Curry, and then later Curry Village. It was designed to provide cheaper accommodations for Yosemite tourists than the resort hotels. The couple set up furnished tents and provided amenities such as a dining tent. As attendance at the park increased, the couple constructed more facilities with more modern amenities. In 2016, as a result of a legal dispute over trademarked names in the park, Curry Village changed its name to Half Dome Village.

    Date: 1917