Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 18 of 18
-
No caption. Letter from Henry Golombeck of the U.S. Navy to William and Grace McCarthy, on the letterhead of the USS New York, dated May 14, 1937, and sent from London England.
Date: 5/14/1937
-
Caption: "Interior of chapel - Templo de Santa Domingo - Puebla, Mexico."
Date: 1938
-
Caption: "On the Yuba River," c. 1920, shows an unidentified person standing on the bank of the Yuba River in Nevada County.
Date: 1920
-
No caption, c. 1935. Ice skating rink at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park, built in 1929 at the location now occupied by the Curry Village parking lot.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Negro Lady, Hardeville [sic], S.C. July 16, 1934." Unidentified woman posing in front of a dilapidated home.
Date: 7/16/1934
-
Caption: "Looking from the Track Above," c. 1907. A view of a train engine and two cars taken from above at Mount Tamalpais.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Carlsbad Caverns -- Inside Looking Out, May, 30, 34." View looking out of the mouth of Carlsbad Cavern, a series of natural underground chambers including the "Big Room," the fifth-largest such chamber in North America with a length of 1,000 feet, a width of 625 feet, and a maximum height of 255 feet. The site was named Carlsbad Cave National Monument in 1923, and declared Carlsbad Caverns National Park in 1930.
Date: 5/30/1934
-
Caption: "A Block in Refugee Town," 1906. A row of structures built for the refugees of San Francisco who lost their homes after the earthquake and fires.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Double Bow Knot Mt Tamalpais," c. 1907. A bird's eye view of the twisty road up Mount Tamalpais in Marin County.
Date: 1907
-
Caption: "Tree Bareing [sic] 8 Varieties of Fruit. Shields Date Gardens - Blythe, Calif. May 31, 1935," shows William McCarthy standing next to a tree that bears eight varieties of fruit.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Logging Train -- Scene in Washington," c. 1905-1909. This photograph shows the final cars on a logging train in Washington, with a caboose at the end, traveling over a trestle under cloudy skies.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Broadway At Bowling Green N.Y." Street scene in New York City, showing Broadway near the small public park Bowling Green. See also 96-07-08-alb04-076 and 96-07-08-alb11-233.
Date: 8/31/1934
-
Caption: "#2 -- Record Oct 25, 09." This postcard shows plume of seawater thrown up by a mortar shell during target practice at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, however, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.
Date: 1909-10-25
-
Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Store House," c. 1905. The Benicia Arsenal Store House, also known as the Clocktower building, was erected in 1859 at three stories high. In 1912, an explosion and fire caused extensive damage, after which it was rebuilt as a two-story structure.
Date: 1905
-
No Caption: Grace McCarthy standing in front of a door at an unidentified location, c. 1906.
Date: 1906
-
Caption: "Washington," State of Washington Building at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-138.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.
Date: 9/5/1934
-
Caption: "Columbia River R. R.," c. 1910. View of railroad tracks along the Columbia River, with some train cars next to a high bank or cliff.
Date: 1910