Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 10 of 10
-
Caption: "Zion National Park - view from Zion Park Tunnel," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Festival Hall Night Scene," at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-115, with caption: "Festival Hall - Night Reflections."
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Adams Springs -- Lake Co.," c. 1920. Buildings in Adams Springs, likely part of the resort that operated there in the first half of the twentieth century.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "United States Field Piece," shows a piece of artillery on a carriage at the Benicia Arsenal.
Date: Undated
-
Caption: "Broadway, San Diego, Calif, May 19, 1934." Bird's eye view of Broadway, a main street in San Diego.
Date: 5/19/1934
-
Caption: "Last Rites." Shows a grave site with dozens of caskets ready for burial. A priest and two altar boys stand at one side of the caskets, while a large group of U.S. Navy sailors looks on from the other side. While sailing from port in San Diego on the morning of July 21, 1905, the boiler of the USS Bennington exploded, killing sixty-six of her crew. The victims were laid to rest in the cemetery at Fort Rosecrans. See also 96-07-08-alb05-142 and 96-07-08-alb08-222.
Date: 1905-07-23
-
Caption: "Fort Casey Light House [sic]," c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park. See also 96-07-08-alb03-065.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "View of Fair Grounds, Portland." This photograph shows several buildings of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, including the Foreign Palace (foreground), the Oriental Palace to its left, and the darkly-colored Forestry Building at the far left. The exposition was held in Portland, Oregon from June 1st to October 15th, 1905. It celebrated the one-hundred year anniversary of the exploratory expedition of the Louisiana Purchase and what became the northwestern part of the United States, led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. Some 1.6 million people visited the fair, viewing exhibits from twenty-one countries.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Damaged German Submarine.," c. 1917. Shows the above-water portions of a German U-boat, or submarine, likely docked in either Petaluma or San Francisco, given the presence of a Petaluma and Santa Rosa Railway ferry in the background.
Date: 1917
-
No Caption: shows the Tower of Jewels at night, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Date: 1915