Bookmarks
Showing Bookmarks 1 to 8 of 8
-
Caption: "Crater Lake, Oregon - View from Watchman Point," c. 1935. Located in the Crater Lake National Park, Crater Lake is a caldera lake formed about 7,700 years ago by the collapse of the volcano, Mount Mazama. Its 1,949 foot depth makes it the deepest lake in the United States.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Bakersfield-Los Angeles Ridge Route. Note the winding road. (X) marks the road in the distance." c. 1920. Mountain scene showing road winding around hills and ridges, with a few scattered automobiles also present. First opened in 1915, the Ridge Route was the first paved highway connecting Los Angeles with the San Joaquin Valley.
Date: 1920
-
No caption, c. 1935. Child riding a donkey in campground at Yosemite National Park.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "Saanich Inlet- View from Malahat Drive, near Victoria," c. 1935.
Date: 1935
-
Caption: "The Four Seasons," shows the Fountain of Autumn (Furio Piccirilli, sculptor), in the Court of Four Seasons, at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-100 and 96-07-08-alb03-025.
Date: 1915
-
Caption: "Linnard Hotel Santa Barbara.," c. 1920. Grace McCarthy sitting in front of the Hotel Potter. Opened in 1903 by Milo M. Potter, the hotel sold in 1919 to the Santa Barbara Hotel Company, controlled by D.M. Linnard. The famous luxury resort burned down in 1921. See also 96-07-08-alb04-097.
Date: 1920
-
Caption: "Sleighing in Port Townsend," c. 1910. Grace McCarthy sitting in horse-drawn sleigh in front of a snow-covered residence in Port Townsend, Washington. See also 96-07-08-alb08-049.
Date: 1910
-
No caption c. 1917. Grace McCarthy and two unidentified people pose under a log sign reading "Camp Curry." Yosemite's Half Dome Village, established by David and Jennie Curry in 1899, was originally called Camp Curry, and later Curry Village. It was designed to provide cheaper accommodations for Yosemite tourists than the resort hotels. The couple set up furnished tents and provided amenities such as a dining tent. The entrance sign seen in this photograph was erected in 1914. As a result of a legal dispute over trademarked names in the park, Curry Village changed its name to Half Dome Village in 2016.
Date: 1917