Bookmarks

Showing Bookmarks 1 to 17 of 17

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 406

    Caption: "Interior of chapel - Templo de Santa Domingo - Puebla, Mexico."

    Date: 1938

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 095

    Caption: "On the Yuba River," c. 1920, shows an unidentified person standing on the bank of the Yuba River in Nevada County.

    Date: 1920

  • McCarthy Album 04, Photograph 286

    No caption, c. 1935. Ice skating rink at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park, built in 1929 at the location now occupied by the Curry Village parking lot.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 167

    Caption: "Negro Lady, Hardeville [sic], S.C. July 16, 1934." Unidentified woman posing in front of a dilapidated home.

    Date: 7/16/1934

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 218

    Caption: "Looking from the Track Above," c. 1907. A view of a train engine and two cars taken from above at Mount Tamalpais.

    Date: 1907

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 034

    Caption: "Carlsbad Caverns -- Inside Looking Out, May, 30, 34." View looking out of the mouth of Carlsbad Cavern, a series of natural underground chambers including the "Big Room," the fifth-largest such chamber in North America with a length of 1,000 feet, a width of 625 feet, and a maximum height of 255 feet. The site was named Carlsbad Cave National Monument in 1923, and declared Carlsbad Caverns National Park in 1930.

    Date: 5/30/1934

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 192

    Caption: "A Block in Refugee Town," 1906. A row of structures built for the refugees of San Francisco who lost their homes after the earthquake and fires.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 183

    Caption: "Double Bow Knot Mt Tamalpais," c. 1907. A bird's eye view of the twisty road up Mount Tamalpais in Marin County.

    Date: 1907

  • McCarthy Album 10, Photograph 044

    Caption: "Tree Bareing [sic] 8 Varieties of Fruit. Shields Date Gardens - Blythe, Calif. May 31, 1935," shows William McCarthy standing next to a tree that bears eight varieties of fruit.

    Date: 1935

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 222

    Caption: "Logging Train -- Scene in Washington," c. 1905-1909. This photograph shows the final cars on a logging train in Washington, with a caboose at the end, traveling over a trestle under cloudy skies.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 09, Photograph 204

    Caption: "Broadway At Bowling Green N.Y." Street scene in New York City, showing Broadway near the small public park Bowling Green. See also 96-07-08-alb04-076 and 96-07-08-alb11-233.

    Date: 8/31/1934

  • McCarthy Album 05, Photograph 321

    Caption: "#2 -- Record Oct 25, 09." This postcard shows plume of seawater thrown up by a mortar shell during target practice at Fort Point. The facilities at Fort Point were part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, however, for in 1886 the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, however, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.

    Date: 1909-10-25

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 146

    Caption: "Benicia Arsenal Store House," c. 1905. The Benicia Arsenal Store House, also known as the Clocktower building, was erected in 1859 at three stories high. In 1912, an explosion and fire caused extensive damage, after which it was rebuilt as a two-story structure.

    Date: 1905

  • McCarthy Album 06, Photograph 043

    No Caption: Grace McCarthy standing in front of a door at an unidentified location, c. 1906.

    Date: 1906

  • McCarthy Album 07, Photograph 158

    Caption: "Washington," State of Washington Building at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. See also 96-07-08-alb01-138.

    Date: 1915

  • McCarthy Album 11, Photograph 242

    Caption: "Longfellow Bridge, Boston, Mass. Sept. 5, 1934." The Longfellow Bridge spans the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. Originally called the Cambridge Bridge, it replaced a wood structure called the West Boston Bridge that had been constructed in 1793. This wood bridge was unable to handle large volumes of traffic or the introduction of street cars, so a new bridge was built in the early twentieth century. Opened in 1906 as the Cambridge Bridge, the name was changed in 1927 to the Longfellow Bridge in honor of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It is colloquially known as the Salt and Pepper Bridge, as its central towers are reminiscent in shape of salt and pepper shakers.

    Date: 9/5/1934

  • McCarthy Album 08, Photograph 150

    Caption: "Columbia River R. R.," c. 1910. View of railroad tracks along the Columbia River, with some train cars next to a high bank or cliff.

    Date: 1910