Search All Items
- Filters:
- Language
- English 7957
- Spanish 494
- ENGLISH 4
- English 2
- census_013 1
- contra_costa_schedule_1_volume_1 1
- Type
- Still Image 4044
- Image 3895
- Text 436
- Text 54
- Textual 13
- Artifact/Ephemera 3
- Photographic--Print 2
- Image of the California Census from the records of the office of the California Secretary of State 1
Search Results 6821 to 6830 of 8626
-
Caption: "Fort Casey Light House, Wash." c. 1905. Located on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, the Admiralty Head Lighthouse was built overlooking Admiralty Inlet in 1903. It replaced an earlier structure that had to be moved in 1890 to accommodate the construction of Fort Casey. The second lighthouse, shown here, was built with thick walls in order to withstand earthquakes and the concussion of guns at Fort Casey. The man shown in the photograph is likely Charles H. Davis, who was appointed keeper of the lighthouse in 1900 and served until his death in 1914. The lighthouse, deactivated in 1922, has since been restored by Washington State Parks, and is part of the Fort Casey State Park.
Date: 1905
-
Caption: "Morro Castle -- Havana -- Cuba. July 4, 1934." Morro Castle, also called Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro, has guarded the entrance to Havana's harbor since 1589. Various additions have been built over the years, including the Faro Castillo del Morro Lighthouse, added in 1846. Morro Castle currently houses the offices of the Havana Harbormaster, and operates as a museum.
Date: 7/4/1934